Pages

Friday, April 20, 2012

Expanding VMWare Hard Disk with VMWare Player 4.0 Installed

After I finished setting up my VMWare hard disk using VMWare Player 4.0 I was down to less than 1 GB of hard disk space left on the player. The instructions to expand the disk only went up to version 3.x and I was unable to locate vmware-vdiskmanager to perform the operation. Here are the steps you need to take to expand your hard disk with VMWare Player 4.0:

1) Download and install VMware Virtual Disk Development Kit

2) Browse to the VVDDK bin directory and run: vmware-vdiskmanager -x 60Gb vm.vmdk
   - Adjust the size of the disk from 60 Gb to whatever suits you
   - Be sure to update the path of your VMDK file

3) Go here to update the guest operating system so it knows the new disk size if it is partitioned

No comments :

Post a Comment

I always welcome constructive feedback. Thanks.