In case you're wondering what happened after accomplishing such a brilliant feat my debugger was not able to attach to the infamous w3sp.exe worker process. Instead I received the following error:
"Unable to start debugging on the web server. The debugger is not properly installed..."After defaulting to blaming SharePoint (as most us are guilty of) I then did the obvious and searched online for a possible solution. Coming up empty handed I noticed that I had two solutions in the farm that were from the same code base but with different names (hand slaps forehead). Removing both solutions manually and re-deploying the renamed solution fixed the problem.